Contest 08/2023: THE 1800s

• Official Post

contest_2023-08_png.png

From Napoleon to the Wild West... From Sherlock Holmes to Bridgerton... This month your challenge is to create a SP-Studio picture about the 19th century. Since there are different ways how to count it we say this means: 1.1.1800 - 31.12.1900. You can show historical events, famous people, scenes from books or movies taking place during this century or make up your own OC in matching fashion. It's the century of big inventions like steam engine, cars and cinema. And a little bit of Steampunk is allowed as well. So I am sure you will find lots of inspiration.

Please remember: You are only allowed to use the SP-Studio, so do not edit with additional software (no cutting, drawing or filters). Don’t resize your picture. Of course it must be your own creation.

Rules for uploads: When you upload your picture, please add a TITLE and your NAME! Use the same name for all your uploads. Names like anonymous, idk or me are not allowed. Too many use them.

Jury members are not allowed to talk about which picture is their's until the voting phase is over.

Upload your picture here: https://pollunit.com/en/polls/sp-studio-contest-2023-08

The rules are as always:

1. CREATE a SP-Studio picture about the topic of the month
    2. UPLOAD your unedited picture until the 20th
    3. VOTING will start on the 21st (jury votes count x2,5)
    4. THE WINNERS will be announced at the start of next month
    • Official Post

The vote has started! :joy:

This time there are 116 pictures in this contest.

From 190 uploads 74 were disqualified: 22 were no SP-Studio pictures, 8 were double entries by the same person (which is allowed) and 44 were disqualified for different reasons (mostly for not matching the topic).

Please tell me if you notice anything which slipped through, especially edited pictures. I know some people were only born in the 1800s but did not look this way in the 1800s (Albert Einstein), but I didn't want to be too picky.

• I continue to be pleased with the amount of work people are putting into their creations in recent months!

And I continue to be annoyed with the people who can't follow the very clear and simple contest rules that have been laid out. 74 is nearly half the entries. How hard is it to follow the rules?

I think the entries such as Chaplin/Einstein shouldn't be allowed, because let's be real, neither is attached to the 1800's, Chaplin in particular. I don't think it's being picky, both are known specifically for what they did in the 1900's, they don't belong in this contest.

• I think the entries such as Chaplin/Einstein shouldn't be allowed, because let's be real, neither is attached to the 1800's, Chaplin in particular. I don't think it's being picky, both are known specifically for what they did in the 1900's, they don't belong in this contest.

I probably would also be more strict, but when the majority of submissions got disqualified that could at some point demotivate people to participate at all. We already have the jury as an additional quality control. Such borderline cases probably won't make it far, anyway.

And I continue to be annoyed with the people who can't follow the very clear and simple contest rules that have been laid out. 74 is nearly half the entries. How hard is it to follow the rules?

I wonder, if the people who took more liberties were at least more creative. Otherwise I can see no point.

Maybe some people just don't do the research. When you're young, Chaplin or Einstein might be historical figures like many others. But then again, one cannot assume that everything from the past took place exactly in the 1800's. Where there submissions of dinosaurs or the like, Janina ?

A quote attributed to Einstein just comes to my mind about the dimensions of the universe and the human intellect. There could be some truth to it.

• Official Post

I probably would also be more strict, but when the majority of submissions got disqualified that could at some point demotivate people to participate at all.

Indeed. The rules say you can show famous people from this century, and both of them were at least born in the 1800s. So I guess you can argue this connection is good enough. It had been better though if the pictures would not show them as adults.

There were two different Marilyn Monroes. I aussume those who uploaded them were kids who did not understand the difference between the 19th and 20th century. But apart from this the disqualified pictures were just totally random: OCs in modern outfits, videogame characters and currently famous celebrities. It was clear they didn't even bother to read the contest topic.

• Indeed. The rules say you can show famous people from this century, and both of them were at least born in the 1800s. So I guess you can argue this connection is good enough. It had been better though if the pictures would not show them as adults.

There were two different Marilyn Monroes. I aussume those who uploaded them were kids who did not understand the difference between the 19th and 20th century. But apart from this the disqualified pictures were just totally random: OCs in modern outfits, videogame characters and currently famous celebrities. It was clear they didn't even bother to read the contest topic.

At least it's not just random photos of food or pets like in the last contest. maybe you can do a contest next time with no topic, just so people can show off their OCs or something

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!