How SP-Studio inspired me

• Exactly what Jareen said! It looks very nice!

QbY7M.png

Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
    Tochter aus Elysium!
    Wir betreten feuertrunken,
    Himmlische dein Heiligtum!
    Deine zauber binden wieder
    Was die Mode streng geteilt;
    Alle Menschen werden Brüder,
    Wo dein saftner Flügel weilt!

• Concerning the art style, I'm not trying to copy something in particular. If there are similarities to something aside from Star Trek it's completely coincidental.

• I really would have liked to show you what I drew between my failure with Thorben and the resumption of my experiments with SP-Studio that led to my current comic project. But alas, I cannot find the files anymore. That's generally a big problem for me as I'm probably the least organized person in the world. Ironically, my present job consists mainly of organizing stuff.

I don't remember exactly why I started to draw characters from Star Trek. Maybe it was just on TV. Maybe I remembered the line that you should write about what you know best and Star Trek is one of those things. Anyway, I played a bit with SP-Studio to create Star Trek look-alikes without paying too much attention to the details. This was the result:

I named those characters Theta and Sheanna Joy as a nod to the respective characters on Star Trek - The Next Generation.

I only drew the background later when I realized this was leading to something. But it will make it clearer why I made certain decisions.

• On the original series the sets had very bright colours. Colour TV was quite a new thing then and they wanted to make use of the technology. On the Next Generation the sets were more beige. As I want to emulate that series, I chose a similar colour scheme. Indeed I like those colours very much, to my mind they make everything very cozy.

The characters might stand out because on the SP-Studio the colours in general are very vibrant. I wider range of more muted colours could be very useful, too.

• As you can see in the picture above, SP-Studio characters don't have very realistic body proportions. The head makes up about two thirds of the total height which in humans would only occur in a fetus. Animated characters tend to have bigger heads than normal and the SP-Studio characters are based on the children on South Park but for my purposes they weren't really appropriate. The characters above wouldn't even be able to pass the door in the background with their enormous heads. So I tried to adapt the characters a bit. This was the result:

I stretched their bodies so that now the head only makes up about half of their height. This way the characters look a bit like lego figures.

• The characters might stand out because on the SP-Studio the colours in general are very vibrant. I wider range of more muted colours could be very useful, too.

That's indeed something I miss from the current color palette as well. When I started working on the new SP-Studio I thought: Yay, I can expand the colors now! But then I realized I was limited by a new factor, which is the mobile version. The buttons for the colors are not allowed to get too small because of the touch controlls. So I am not sure how I should add more colors. Perhaps that's a topic for the stream.

• I would also make their arms longer.

QbY7M.png

Freude, schöner Götterfunken,
    Tochter aus Elysium!
    Wir betreten feuertrunken,
    Himmlische dein Heiligtum!
    Deine zauber binden wieder
    Was die Mode streng geteilt;
    Alle Menschen werden Brüder,
    Wo dein saftner Flügel weilt!

• As a next step, I decided to deflate the heads of the characters even a bit more so that they would equal about one third of their total height. At this point it became obvious to me that die SP-Studio characters neither have a neck nor shoulders so I corrected that:

You may notice that the characters have a strange white halo around them. I don't really understand where that comes from. I cropped the characters completely and usually don't create them with a white background to begin with. The files must have gotten damaged over time. With vector graphics this usually doesn't occur.

• As the next step, I worked a bit more on the shoulders and the neck. But first off all, it were the massive legs that worried me. Let's see what I did about it:

The characters still looked a bit chubby. That was the next thing I wanted to tackle.

• Here the bodies are completely my own drawings. The characters look a bit like Playmobil figures now:

For a short time, I considered using the heads of the SP-Studio characters with the bodies I had drawn myself. But several factors made me rethink this.

As you might have noticed, the eyes are already resized in this picture and I added a nose. Also the hair still has this strange aura around it which makes it look a bit messy and stand out. Then the heads in my design have to be located above the rest of the body but in the females parts of their hair would have to be behind the body so it would have been neccessary to somehow insert two SP-Studio heads for them every time. But then the SP-Studio hair lacks the area where the body is located in that design so I would always have to complete it anyway.

Regarding all this trouble with using SP-Studio heads, the overall design of the heads is quite simple compared to the body parts I had already drawn. So I decided to also draw the heads myself.

• That's way better. In the first pictures the body shapes looks like they ate a little bit too much ;) This effect is reduced in the last version.

• This picture is a bit out of order. It's from my current comic project again. But it fits the next update for the SP-Studio.

This is my character Damian beamed down on an alien planet.

• Thank you!

I was also quite content with the outcome. And it's not a very complicated effect.

Only on SP-Studio the characters cannot be made transparent. So maybe really some more sparkling would be neccessary to obscure them.