Contest 03/2013: FAMOUS ARTWORKS

• [Blocked Image: http://www.planearium.de/sp-studio/forum/images/contest031.jpg]

Here comes a new task: copy the greatest artists in history! :artist:
    Use the SP-Studio to recreate a famous piece of art. It doesn't matter which era it is from or which technique was used by the artist. But your picture must be based on one particular, existing artwork, because this is the challenge this time. "Famous" does not mean everybody needs to now the original artwork - just proof to us you did not make it up. Please include a link to the original picture.

Examples: Mona Lisa (Leonardo da Vinci), The Scream (Edvard Munch), The Starry Night (Vincent Van Gogh), The Night Watch (Rembrandt van Rijn), Girl with a Pearl Earring (Johannes Vermeer), The Kiss (Gustav Klimt), Guernica (Pablo Picasso), The Great Wave off Kanagawa (Katsushika Hokusai), Composition II in Red, Blue, and Yellow (Piet Mondrian), Marilyn Monroe (Andy Warhol),... are just some really good modern fan art.

HOW TO JOIN:

If you are new: Register a nickname by clicking on the REGISTER button in the menu on top of this page.
    Then you can upload your picture to the contest gallery.
    The pictures will all show up on March 16, before this they are hidden. Then everybody can vote.

RULES:

• The picture must be created at sp-studio.de and submitted here till March 15th, 11:59 PM (GMT+1).
    • No editing with additional software! No effects, color change, zooming. Just SP-Studio pictures.
      You are allowed to rotate the picture.
    • Add a fitting English title & description (optional). Please link to reference pictures. No text like "VOTE!!!".
    • If you upload more than one picture for a contest the newest counts and the others are deleted.
    • When the voting starts registered users can rate the pictures (1-5 stars) until March 31.
    • Vote fair! Do not manipulate results by telling friends to give you 5 stars and others 1 star. I will ban you for this.

PRIZES:

1st place: Make a wish for a new SP-Studio item and I will draw and include it.
    1st to 5th place: You win your own User Gallery. If you already have one you can upload 30 more files to it now.
    Janina's Choice: I might pick one additional person, if I think he/she deserves a user gallery. The score doesn't matter.

Good luck!

• Only 7 pictures so far :(.
    I am thinking about a longer submission phase (maybe until March 20th) for this contest. I will finish the new front page in a couple of days and maybe it can help to promote the contest in a better way. It is worth a try, what do you think?
    If there are just about 10 pictures this is no fun...

• I guess that if there are only 7 pics so far, longer submission phase won't bring more participants, although revising the frontpage could help. Maybe it's because the topic isn't quite popular..... I mean, for someone interested in history of art the topic is perfect, but for many people (especially kids) old paintings or sculptures are just boring... It's also quite a challenge, to remake a famous masterpiece only with items provided by SP-Studio. For such veterans like Caribou, Joker, and others (including my humble person :P ) there's no problem, but for newbies it can be hard. Also recently there aren't many visitors to the site, generally.....

• I totally didn't get around to finishing anything this time; I spent about two hours trying to make a version of Yoko Ono's "Yes" piece, using the monocle as a magnifying glass to enlarge some of the letters. And while I still think that's a great idea, the practical reality didn't measure up, and eventually I deleted it in frustrated disgust and never got around to starting a new one... :whatever:

• Great job Joker! And there were some other great pictures as well.

lol... Spiderman should get a special reward for this ;).

I am a bit busy right now (easter stuff... watching movies ;)), but will do the announcements of the winners later. And I will try to pick a topic for the next contest that will be more appealing.
    And I need to finidh the new update... and the final changes to the start page and menu... and the Hall of Fame... I guess I need holidays.

• I think that there should be "D.E.R.P. Gallery", ( Which Stands for: Disqualified, Erratic and Ridiculous Pictures), aka. Hall of Infamy, which would include every disqualified pic, as a way to show what not to post......
    Anyway, to prevent such situations, is there a way to disable voting on disqualified pics?

• Agreed, they should be deleted either as soon as they're disqualified or as soon as the contest ends. There's no difference between disqualified pictures and pictures that are refused before the contest starts, so they shouldn't get special treatment. They sure as hell shouldn't get their own gallery; next thing you know there would be people doing it wrong on purpose so that they could get their pictures displayed there.

• I cleaned up the contest galleries, so now there should be only approved pictures left.
    And now the results, though you already now them ;):

[Blocked Image: http://www.planearium.de/sp-studio/forum/images/contest031.jpg]

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WINNERS:

1) Joker
    2) ADePALMA1251
    3) Strider
    4) Eggyslav
    5) Jonnnyfox

[album]4697[/album]

[album]4657[/album] [album]4692[/album] [album]4653[/album] [album]4680[/album]

This was Johnnys first top5 picture, congratulations! :) You won your own gallery. The prices will be distributed when the next contest starts (most likely tomorrow).

• :joy: ¡Congratulations to the winners! :joy: (and this time to myself too :D )

And as usual, the unofficial mathematical classification :pc: :

1.- Mona Lisa (Joker)........................4,44 x 9 votes = 39,96 points [1]
    2.- Flower Thrower...............................4,33 x 6 = 25,98 [2]
    3.- American Gothic.............................3,17 x 6 = 19,02 [4]
    4.- Victory of Samothrace.....................3,4 x 5 = 17,00 [3]
    5.- Girl With The Pearl Earring...............2,83 x 6 = 16,98 [5]
    6.- Vitruvian Man.................................2,29 x 7 = 16,03 [8]
    7.- The Scream....................................2,5 x 6 = 15,00 [7]
    8.- Venus de Milo.................................2,6 x 5 = 13,00 [6]
    9.- Michelangelos David & Mona Lisa (Sebra 504)...1,67 x 6 = 10,02 [9]

Not many changes in the top five; more evident differences in 6th to 8th.

And with the not so strange case of the disqualified 'Spiderman' :stupid: in the virtual fifth place with 3 points, that in the mathematical classification would have been 3 x 2 votes = 6 points... a low, very low, under the ten final drawings.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!