MUSIC

• Quote from Till

new MGMT? didn't know so far, i'll check it out :)
    (God, I LOVE Spotify!)

Their new self-titled album comes out in September, I believe.

Quote from 3lvis

I like the Random Access Memories a lot, but lots of people are disappointed with it. I think it might be because all the songs aren't really chart toppers. That was what Get Lucky was mostly for.

I love it. Contains some of the best stuff they've ever done. "Touch" is probably the best track Daft Punk have ever made, and Christ, "Give Life Back to Music", "Lose Yourself to Dance", "Doin' it Right" and, of course, "Get Lucky" are some of the catchiest songs I've ever heard.

• Quote from Jabels

Christ, this year's been pretty good in terms of music.

Oh most definitely.
    I've never been a big fan of Daft Punk, but Random Access Memories is fantastic. Some of my favorite tracks off that record are "Instant Crush" (Julian Casablancas' voice, man, it's fuckin' perfect), "Fragments of Time", "Within", and "Get Lucky". Jables said it right, they really are some of the catchiest songs I've ever heard.

I'm also really diggin' QOTSA's new record Like Clockwork. Just about every song on it sounds like a hit. It's a really refreshing "rock n' roll" album. When Josh Homme sings "Giuchie, Giuchie, Oh la la, Do run run, You wont get far", on "If I Had A Tail", I get goosebumps.

Also, Adam Green and Binki Shapiro's collaborating record came out this year and it's just such fun music to listen too. If you can find it on Spotify, I highly recommend listening to it. Both of them have such attractive voices.

And of course, I've been listing to Comedown Machine by The Strokes. Such a different sound for them, but it is sooooo goddamn good. "Tap Out", "One Way Trigger", and "Welcome To Japan", are all songs people need to check out.

• I know everyone's saying it at the moment, but Alabama Shakes really are fucking fantastic. Best new band of the last ten years, I reckon.

• Quote from 3lvis

I like the Random Access Memories a lot, but lots of people are disappointed with it. I think it might be because all the songs aren't really chart toppers. That was what Get Lucky was mostly for.

I love it. Contains some of the best stuff they've ever done. "Touch" is probably the best track Daft Punk have ever made, and Christ, "Give Life Back to Music", "Lose Yourself to Dance", "Doin' it Right" and, of course, "Get Lucky" are some of the catchiest songs I've ever heard.

I got tingles the first time I listened to touch! Something about it is amazing, but I don't know what :lol:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.

• So does anyone have any albums coming out this year they're excited for?

Personally, I'm excited for new:

Nas

RA The Rugged Man (hopefully)

Run The Jewels

Wu-Tang (hopefully)

Outkast

Schoolboy Q

Czarface 2 (Inspectah Deck & Esoteric)

Capital Steez

• In fact, Rodriguez is playing the next city over from me next month. It's gonna be pricey between the ticket price and the travel, but there's a good chance it's the last time he'll play the UK so I might have to look into selling a kidney...

• Quote from Caribou

In fact, Rodriguez is playing the next city over from me next month. It's gonna be pricey between the ticket price and the travel, but there's a good chance it's the last time he'll play the UK so I might have to look into selling a kidney...

I know that feel man, Neutral Milk Hotel are playing the Barrowlands (my favourite venue) in May, and I couldn't get tickets in time. I'm almost at the stage of willing to shell out £40 for a ticket, since it's likely the only opportunity I'll have to see them live.

• Quote from Caribou

In fact, Rodriguez is playing the next city over from me next month. It's gonna be pricey between the ticket price and the travel, but there's a good chance it's the last time he'll play the UK so I might have to look into selling a kidney...

Fffffffuck... Dude, you gotta do it. I was just talking about wanting to see him earlier today. He's such a rad guy.

I'm seeing The Orwells next Saturday and I'm going to The Governor's Ball music festival in NYC in June. I'm gonna be able to see The Strokes, Jack White, Outkast, and The Kills, all in one ass kickin' weekend.

• I've been listening to a lot zebrahead recently, also have seen them live in January. Also some Hendrix, since I own a vinyl record player and found some treasures at the basement. Also a lot of Offspring. Gonna se em in July at Rock im Park Festival. But mostly I am much into german alternative again the last time.

• Quote from ADePALMA1251

Fffffffuck... Dude, you gotta do it. I was just talking about wanting to see him earlier today. He's such a rad guy.

Well, I did it, and it was totally worth it. The guy's so old now he has to have an aide to walk him to the microphone - it took him at least thirty seconds to cross the stage (to a standing ovation, obviously) - but as soon as he was there, he put on a top hat, leaned into the mic and muttered, "Thanks for steppin' out," and then proceeded to rule hard for the next hour or so.

He did most of the songs off Cold Fact and a couple from Coming from Reality but also some really unexpected and rather brave covers ("Fever", "Lucille", "Blue Suede Shoes" and, weirdest of all, "Unchained Melody") - all of which he played in a style that would make you think they were his own songs if they weren't already ridiculously famous. And in between songs he'd come out with sweet little off-the-cuff phrases seemingly out of nowhere, like "Hate is too powerful an emotion to waste on someone you really don't like".

I came away a bit giddy from the whole thing, to be honest. Possibly the best gig I've ever been to even though it was an all-seater. Either I'm getting old or he really is a bit special. :)

Quote from Wade Zabel

Wu-Tang (hopefully)

Looks like you're in luck. Sort of.

• Quote from Caribou

Well, I did it, and it was totally worth it.

My dad and I were just talking about wanting to see him today. I'm so stoked for you, man!

• ...And then aliens rewrote history and it wasn't any more? ;)

90% of all music, in all styles, has always been crap. There's just so much more of it around everywhere these days that you have to look a little harder to find the good stuff. Avoiding radio and TV and going looking for it in a live music scene is always the best way to start - I personally know some absolutely fantastic rappers, and I don't come from a big hip-hop city by any stretch of the imagination.

• I already added some categories some time ago. The stupid thing about it was that if you edit the poll, the results up to now are lost..

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!