Contest 08/2012: CLASSIC MOVIES

• [Blocked Image: http://www.planearium.de/sp-studio/forum/images/contest025.jpg]

A movie contest! It's about "classic movies" and this means they have to be at least 25 years old. The picture can be about every famous movie from around the world you consider a classic, but remember to mention the TITLE. Please choose a movie as your topic, no actors or Hollywood in general.

HOW TO JOIN:

If you are new: Register a nickname by clicking on the REGISTER button in the menu on top of this page. Then you can upload your picture to the contest gallery. The pictures will all show up on September 16, before this they are hidden.

RULES:

• The picture must be created at sp-studio.de and submitted here till September 15th, 11:59 PM (GMT+1).
    • No editing with additional software! No effects, color change, zooming. Just SP-Studio pictures.
      You are allowed to rotate the picture.
    • Add a fitting English title & description (optional). You can link to reference pictures. No text like "VOTE!!!".
    • If you upload more than one picture for a contest the newest counts and the others are deleted.
    • When the voting starts registered users can rate the pictures (1-5 stars) until September 30st.
    • Vote fair! Don't manipulate results by telling friends to give you 5 stars and others 1 star or you will be banned.

PRIZES:

1st place: Make a wish for a new SP-Studio item and I will draw and include it within a month (at least I try ;)).
    1st to 5th place: You win your own User Gallery. If you already have one you can upload 30 more files to it now.
    Janina's Choice: I might pick one additional person, if I think he/she deserves a user gallery. The score doesn't matter.

Good luck!

• I thought this would contest would be a peice of cake. God, was I wrong. :facepalm:
    But, it's a nice topic, non the less. Can't wait till the 15th.

• hmn, exactly in the year 1987 in Germany there was a movie called "the Joker" ;)

• Quote from Till

hmn, exactly in the year 1987 in Germany there was a movie called "the Joker" ;)

And Robocop,
    And my picture is in

• You can vote now! Unfortunately there were only 21 submessions this time... though I thought the topic would be something for everybody. And one picture is disqualified already because it does not fit the topic. But I hope those who joined the contest can enjoy it anyway :).

• hmn, sad there are only 21... but some of them are awesome!

*edit: ok, my favorites are in order: the godfather, scarface, the Jaws (2), the meaning of life

• The Big Lebowski came out in 1998, so it would have been disqualified anyway. ;)

• It was difficult to goess who might be in the Top5, there were other great pictures as well.

[Blocked Image: http://www.planearium.de/sp-studio/forum/images/contest025.jpg]

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE WINNERS:

1) Joker
    2) Dogzilla
    3) Ildorf
    4) Till
    5) Kukucs

[album]4058[/album]

[album]4001[/album] [album]3988[/album] [album]4049[/album] [album]4011[/album]

No "Janina's choice" this time, because there weren't enough new participants.
    The next contest will start in a couple of hours. The winners got more space for uploads and Kukucs has a free wish for a SP-Studio item.

• Congratulations to the winners!

:teacher: And now, as usual in the latest contests, the unofficial mathematical classification :pc: :

1st place: The Godfather: ......rating 4,62 x 13 votes = 60,06 total points
    2nd place: Jaws (2):....................................... 3,69 x 13 = 47,97 points
    3rd place: Scarface:....................................... 4,36 x 11 = 47,96 points
    4th place: Bathroom scene from 'Psycho':...... 3,82 x 11 = 42,02 points
    5th place: A trip to the Moon:........................ 3,55 x 11 = 39,05 points
    6th place: The Blues Brothers: ..................... 3,90 x 10 = 39,00 points
    7th place: Psycho:......................................... 2,92 x 12 = 35,04 points
    8th place: The meaning of life:...................... 3,09 x 11 = 33,99 points
    9th place: Jaws (1):....................................... 3,00 x 9 = 27,00 points
    10th place: The Evil Dead:............................. 2,79 x 9 = 25,02 points
    ;)

• Strider, man. I really think you should stop posting these "unofficial mathematical classification" stuff. Just because you're multiplying two numbers related to each other, doesn't mean it'll give a correct classification or whatever. If one picture has 2 votes and it with a rating of 3.5, and anothre has 10 votes with a rating of 1, then it seems like by your standards, that picture with a rating of 1 would win. And that's not how you rank things. And please, stop using this, " :teacher: ". Now I'm not forcing you to stop, I just think it doesn't make sense to post something that, well, doesn't make sense, especially since Caribou has such a solid ranking list already...
    Anyway, congrats to the winners.

• First of all, I want to say that I ACCEPT THE RESULTS OF THE CONTESTS and it isn't my intention to polemize.

And now, just say that I'm not joking at all. I really think this way is fairer.
    I've explained all in one of the answers on this post (and in other ones before): http://www.planearium.de/sp-st…m/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=270
    It's a case of Maths vs. Statistics.

I just intend to demonstrate that the mean is not the better way to value the pictures, but the easiest given the software available in this website.

Answering to AdePalma's post and his example, just say that it would be as unfair as a picture valued with just one vote of 5 points (result = 5) that now gets a better result than a picture with 9 votes of five and one vote of 4 (result = 4,9). ;)

And I don't understand why I should stop using the teacher's smiley ( :teacher: ) when I'm just providing a maths lesson.

• Oh :D. I really thought you were kidding, because in our case the amount of votes is no value you could use for a fair result. But now I get what you mean. Huge websites like imdb use different ratings as well, so an unknown movie with 2 or 3 10/10 ratings does not appear in the top lists. But the formula for this is more complicated than "rating x amount of votes". And I don't this this system works good with our numbers of votes.

Usually the amount of votes is very similar, I can't recall a bad picture with a few votes winning because someone gave it 5 points. Usually the ones with many votes are the ones with high ratings.

But of course you can continue to calculate your alternative charts :).

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!