The Official "Rate the Song Above You"

• Quote from Caribou

I think I'd probably like it less if I were German, because from what I've read their lyrics are kinda weak but since I don't speak an awful lot of German it doesn't really matter to me. They've got a bit more adventurous since this was released but it's still one of their better songs, I'd give it seven out of ten.

Grinderman - "No Pussy Blues"?

I dont like Rammstein verry much and it really gets me thinking why they`re the most famous band that sings german on the other site of the pond.

The reason I dont like them are the lyrics. I like songs with creative lyrics. And this isn't creative:
    You! (break) You! ... You have! ..... You have got me ... and this was the first minute of the song :rolleyes:

Heres something german of a band I really like. Its in Our charts at the moment:M&F - die ärzte the video is cool!

• Quote from Till

I dont like Rammstein verry much and it really gets me thinking why they`re the most famous band that sings german on the other site of the pond.

Given most native English-speakers' attitude to learning another language, it's a minor miracle that there are ANY famous bands who mostly sing in a foreign language over here. ;)

• Quote from ADePALMA1251

Love Wu Tang, but I'll let someone else have a go at em'.

So, no one wants to have a listen? Ah well, your loss. Wu-Tang fuckin' rocks and everything on Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers), including "Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing Ta Fuck Wit" is outstanding. Everything about it is so powerfull. And belive me, there's nothing like shouting "Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothin' ta fuck with" over and over again with your older brother as your dad stands there with a smirk on his face at a Wu-Tang show.

The Strokes-"The Modern Age"?
    *Do yourselves a favor and watch the video...

• That version? 4.5/10. The musicians are pretty accomplished, but it really stands out that English is not that singer's first language, and the song's just far too fast and wordy for him to cope with. I'd give the original version 8/10, since it's one of the more memorable SP songs, and any way you slice it Trey & Matt are just really damn good at coming up with vaudeville-style showtunes like that one.

Love - "Alone Again Or"?

• Hmm... I still don't know what to make of that. In the grand scheme of Bond themes it's nowhere near the likes of Shirley Bassey doing "Goldfinger" or "Diamonds Are Forever", but it's a million miles ahead of some of the recent ones by Sheryl Crow, Chris Cornell, or fucking Madonna. I really like the way the main Bond theme sneaks in and stays throughout the second verse, and the vocals are nice and slinky and the chorus is catchy, but the rest of it is too meandering and drawn-out, and the breakdown bit is a little bit cringeworthy. Also Adele is one of the most obnoxious people in popular music, and I can't help thinking that every time I hear her. It's a real mixed bag. Uhm, I dunno, 6/10 I guess.

The Saints - "Know Your Product"?

• That song kicked ass. I can't belive I never heard of those dudes, they're totally the kind of band I could get into. They give off a certain type of coolness that you see in bands like The Velvet Underground, Joy Division, The Strokes, etc. that I'm really into to.

Julian Casablancas-"Long Island Blues"?

• Yeah, the Saints were awesome. Unfortunately they were Australian, and there wasn't much of an Australian punk scene to speak of for a long time afterward. If they'd grown up in London or New York I really believe they'd be talked about as much as the Sex Pistols or the Ramones.

• The song ADePALMA posted wasn't available for Germany... But someone else can rate it.
    So, I go on:
    Blink 182 - Boxing Day (davedays version, because I like it way more than the original :] )

Please disregard Till's comment. This is not how the game is played. We are still on this song. Once someone listens to it, reviews/rates it, then that person can pick a new song. Please do not add another song just because you can't find it (others might be able to), it comes off as selfish and rude. Just be paitent.
    -ADePALMA1251

• I give "Long Island Blues" roughly a 4/10.
    It was okay...but not something I would go and listen to again.
    I couldn't find myself humming along to the melody or finding it very catchy at all.
    I kind of feel like it was a very dragged out song...especially since it went on for over five minutes.
    It's just not my cup of tea, I suppose.

For "Boxing Day" by Blink 182...I give it a 5/10.
    It didn't sound like they put a lot of effort into writing that song.
    You'd think that after going on hiatus for a few years, they'd amp up everything...but I don't think their reunion made their sound any better.
    I don't find this particular song catchy, nor would I go out of my way to listening to it again.
    Blink 182 used to be good back in the 90's...now they're just...not as good as they used to be.
    That's just my opinion...nothing special.

"Die On A Rope" by The Distillers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYcQt_QrV1U

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!