The Official "Rate the Song Above You"

• @Eggy: well, actually i didn't. But i listened to the beginning, something in the middle and the end...

• Meh, didn't do much for me on the first listen. It was deffinitley not a traditional story telling song, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I do think it could grow on me though.

The Cramps-"Garbageman"?

• 8/10

Great catchy bassline, this is something I could dance to!
    My only gripe is that the quality isn't too good, but this is a very catchy song! :)

"Guilt Within Your Head" by The Gits
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB4mtUcGSOc

The song gets cut off at the end, but it's the only one with good quality.

• Quote from {-}___{-}

Have you forgotten the rules and point for this thread yet?

I can only assume you're talking about my lack of a condescending number out of ten. Personally, I think it sounds dumb to rate one specific song out of ten. For example, "I give song A a 3.7. It was better than a 3.6, but it was nooo 3.8 :rolleyes: ." It just sounds weird. Now I'm still giving little reviews/critiques for the songs I reply to, so I think I got the general idea of the thread down. ;)

• Quote from ADePALMA1251

It was deffinitley not a traditional story telling song

Actually, that's exactly what it is. "Stagger Lee" was first recorded about 90 years ago, and it could well be a decade or two older than that. The Bad Seeds just made it about fifty times darker, is all. :P

Quote from bellaXraven

My only gripe is that the quality isn't too good.

By the Cramps' standards, that's pure shiny crystal-clear hi-fi production you're talking about there. ;)

I'm impressed you know the Gits, by the way... they were such an amazing band. Such a horrible tragedy what happened to Mia too.

• Quote from Caribou

Actually, that's exactly what it is. "Stagger Lee" was first recorded about 90 years ago, and it could well be a decade or two older than that. The Bad Seeds just made it about fifty times darker, is all. :P

Guess I should have put that it didn't sound like an average traditional "story telling" song. But anyway, thanks for the info. It's definitely something I'll keep in mind when having another listen.

• "Average" is not something Nick Cave is noted for being. ;)

If you're interested, there's a great live-on-TV version here back-to-back with a duet with PJ Harvey on another traditional song from from the same album. The two songs couldn't be more different but they're both beautiful in their own way. And Nick is very clearly coked off his tits but it's a killer performance all the same.

Back on topic, anyone else want to field this? I don't know the song but I do know what Dre and Snoop sound like together and I can't really be bothered to listen to it, if I'm honest. :whatever:

• I enjoyed "Stagger Lee" much more the second time and "Henry Lee" was just beautiful. From what, (extremley) little Nick Cave I've heard, I can say I prefer him live. The studio recordings are a tad bit too overproduced for my taste. As for "Bitches Ain't Shit", what more can I say that the lyrics and beat don't :lol:. It's great 90's fun, gangster rap. They're not rapping, (or rather auto-tuned singing) about how god damn succesful they are or about a hood they've probably never been to. There rapping about what they know with a pretty good beat and a funny concept. I really dig earlier Dre.

JEFF The Brotherhood-"Heavy Days"?
    *If you liked this song even a little, I highly suggest you listen to this version to appreciate how simple yet kick fuckin' ass they are.

• Quote from ADePALMA1251

JEFF The Brotherhood-"Heavy Days"?
    *If you liked this song even a little, I highly suggest you listen to this version to appreciate how simple yet kick fuckin' ass they are.

They're not a band I've heard a hell of a lot of, but I've always really liked what I've heard. And funnily enough, I'd never heard the studio version of that song before, but I'd seen the bedroom version video a bunch of times. I don't want to slate the studio version, but I massively prefer the other one. Sounding even a tenth that good in such an informal setting, with no microphones, is something most people will never come close to achieving.

Quote from {-}___{-}

New Rule:NO DECIMALS!!! Too complicated

Overruled. If you can't cope with decimals that small, life's probably gonna prove too hard for ya. And we're all about enhancing life skills round these parts. ;)

New rule of my own: We've got a list of board rules already. No other rules will ever apply, to any thread, ever. You can try and start new ones if you like, but don't be surprised if no one pays any attention to them.

Quote from {-}___{-}

Madness Interactive - Monks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMXkS-e8xnA

Massively dissapointed with this one. Both the Monks and Madness (to a much lesser extent) are both fine bands, and I was hoping for something by one of them. Instead I got the sort of thing that was tossed off in half an hour by some obsessive fan of a fairly-popular webseries, in order to back up half an hour of said webseries. It seems churlish to rate it with a smiley instead of a number, but what the hell. :thumbdown: /10.

Speaking of the Monks: "Monk Time", anyone?

• Quote from Caribou

They're not a band I've heard a hell of a lot of, but I've always really liked what I've heard. And funnily enough, I'd never heard the studio version of that song before, but I'd seen the bedroom version video a bunch of times. I don't want to slate the studio version, but I massively prefer the other one. Sounding even a tenth that good in such an informal setting, with no microphones, is something most people will never come close to achieving.

Ahh, thank you. I was going to lose it, if the only response I got was, "3/10". :lol:
    I don't know if you've seen this, but it's worth checking out if you're diggin' The Brotherhood.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!