[ UPDATE: NOW THE SERVER PROBLEMS ARE FIXED ]
I already wrote a blog post about it, but I guess I should dedicate an extra topic to this as well.
Around mid of February the SP-Studio began trending on TikTok, which is great! Many people created videos with it. But this had one downside. My server is overloaded because it cannot handle so many visitors at the same time. Since then I got hundrets of e-mails complaining about the website not loading. And unfortunately this does not only mean it loads slowly... it does noit load at all for them.
I understand that this is annoying, but I cannot do much about it. Boosting the server is expensive (and for now there was no rise in donations for supporting the SP-Studio). But I am working on other ways to improve the situation! If I find a solution I'll let you know here. In the meaintime I will use this topic to help you with some tips, even though it looks like they do not help much when the server is overloaded.
These are some things I know about the loading problems:
- Your country matters. I get less complaints from central Europe than from other countries. So I assume this might be an issue. Maybe the server prioritises requests if they are near. But using a VPN does not seem to help.
- 10:00 UTC might be a good time. This is the time when the server is less overrun (check your timezone here). It seems like the loading problems still happen, but this helped at least some users to get access.
- Most reports are abourt smartphones, not computers. I don't understand why computers work better. Maybe it's just because more visitors use smartphones. Or maybe it's because computers often use a better internet connection.
- Improve your internet speed. Visit https://www.google.com/search?q=speedtest and start the test. Less than 10 mbit/s can be a problem, so try to get to a good wifi spot.
- Do not push the reload button all the time. This makes the server overload worse and does not help at all. Instead try again after 30 minutes. Use a hard refresh then ore clear your browser cache once if you feel stuck (as described here).