Contest 06/2020: SUMMER

• contest_2020-06.png

SUMMER is coming! This again is a free topic, so let your creativity run wild. Activities in the sun, holidays at the beach, a pool scene… it’s up to you! But please add a description if it’s not clear how your picture is connected to the topic. Pictures which seem to have no connection to summer will be deleted. I hope we will have as many entries like last month. :)

The rules are as always:

1. CREATE a SP-Studio picture about the topic of the month
    2. UPLOAD your unedited picture until the 20th
    3. VOTING will start on the 21st on the contest page
    4. THE WINNERS will be announced at the start of next month

Rules for pictures:

Your picture must be at least 300×300 px big (not the small size). You are only allowed to use the SP-Studio, so don’t edit with additional software. No cutting, background rotating or color changes. Of course it must be your own creation. And it must fit the topic of the month. Add a fitting title to show how it is related to the topic.

• I hate to bring this up as it always sounds like sour grapes, and because these contests are just meant to be fun, but seeing as how Janina has already disqualified an entry, I feel the subject has now been broached.

I think these contests should only be open to forum members. Lately it seems like every contest has one or two entries that get a suspiciously high number of votes. In fact, besides the already disqualified entry, I see another entry has gained a suspiciously substantial lead.

The problem is, with the way the voting works, there's no real way of knowing who, or how many times, a vote is cast.

I think having forum members encouraging their friends/families to vote, while also discouraging them to vote for them, doesn't work. I think if people want to vote, they should be forced to join the site. At least you'd know the voting would be more honest.

Again, I know this is really trivial, and that Janina has a lot on her plate at the moment, but just something to consider. Personally, it's more fun to lose to an entry that I know some effort and creativity was put into it.

• As I understand the contests, they are meant to make the website more appealing to visitors. I'm afraid, if you limited the participation in the contest to forum members, this wouldn't lead to more forum members but only to less participants.

• Janina and the Mods (Me and Eggy) are well aware of this problem. It drives me also mad as a die-hard image creator and I know how you feel when you put hours of work into a picture and you get beat by a random kid with a terrible 2 second pic. But as you stated yourself it is hard to see how many times one person has voted and such. Still we try our best. Just so you know we are familiar with the problem and are looking into other ways. Just because of personal stuff it is has now less high a priority.

As I understand the contests, they are meant to make the website more appealing to visitors. I'm afraid, if you limited the participation in the contest to forum members, this wouldn't lead to more forum members but only to less participants.

And that is exactly the problem. Sadly this forum isn't as popular as it used to be back in 2011/2012/2013 when we easily got 20 pictures from forum members. From those glory days (correct me if I am wrong) the only real people left are Me, Janina, Eggy and Strider

• I understand that this is annoying.

Unfortunately as Jareen wrote the forum does not have enough visitors right now and most people don't want to register for contests. We've been there before, so I know it's not working. So the forum is not an option with its current amount of active members.

When the new SP-Studio launches et the end of the year the website needs a small makeover anayway, so I could implement a new voting system. I already searched for a fitting plugin, but haven't found a good one so far. It's difficult... uploading your picture has to be easy, but we want to trust in the votes. Because of the small amount of voters it is very easy to cheat with the helo of some loyal friends, even if you don't use any special tricks on your own computer. I hoped people would stay fair if there is no actual prize to win, but I guess because of all those voting contests on social media it's believed to be okay to make a popularity contest (for friends, not for quality) out of everything.

There is one other possible solution: no public vote at all. A Jury of former contest winners could vote for their favorites in private.

• Congratuations to the winners!

Contest 06/2020: Summer

A typical summer holiday for a gamer
    1) Jareen2
    holiday for a gamer

(24 points)

shark on a beach day<
    2) Hal Abarda
    shark on a beach day

(23 points)

SummerTime in Florida
    3) Corey Roper
    SummerTime in Florida

(21 points)

Bikini season
    4) Art Vandelay
    Bikini season

(18 points)

Summer Storm Mermaid
    5) madame mist
    Summer Storm Mermaid

(13 points)

I got a complaint because Corey got many points in a short period of time. But it was not as safe as with the first case.

• Woohoo 1st place :D
    Congrats to all the other winners. To be honest. I didn't expect mine to reach first place and kinda ending low. But I am happy to see I was wrong

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!