Board index Off Topic Life, the Universe and Everything Religion

Religion

Here you can talk about topics which don't fit anywhere else.
Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:52 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

Posts: 304
Images: 53
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
ADePALMA1251 wrote:
Also, religion pisses me off...

Image

Although I agree with you, to an extent.
Image

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Posts: 629
Images: 38
Country: United Kingdom (uk)

That's whatI think when I see Jim Carey in a film nowadays.
Image

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:07 pm
Eggyslav User avatar
Mod

Posts: 397
Images: 231
Country: Poland (pl)
ADePALMA1251 wrote:
Also, religion pisses me off...


It's not Religion per se that pisses off, but it's how some people take it so serious, to the point of fanatical devotion. Also the hypocrisy and greed of clerics, and how they use religion as a tool to gain money and power on those who take the religion seriously.... And how they meddle in political affairs, instead of fullfilling their duties before people and God. And Did I mentioned Hypocrisy? They Codemn us for our sins, but they are not better, if not worse. :nono:
Image
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬​­▬
Dies irae, dies illa
solvet saeclum in favilla:
teste David cum Sibylla.
Quantus tremor est futurus,
quando judex est venturus,
cuncta stricte discussurus!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬​­

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:26 pm

Posts: 262
Images: 263
Country: United States (us)
Eggyslav wrote:
ADePALMA1251 wrote:
Also, religion pisses me off...


It's not Religion per se that pisses off, but it's how some people take it so serious, to the point of fanatical devotion. Also the hypocrisy and greed of clerics, and how they use religion as a tool to gain money and power on those who take the religion seriously.... And how they meddle in political affairs, instead of fullfilling their duties before people and God. And Did I mentioned Hypocrisy? They Codemn us for our sins, but they are not better, if not worse. :nono:


It all stems from religion, man and I just don't dig it. I don't want to classify myself as an athiest all the time, because a few athiests want to belive but can't because of the lack of evidence. I just choose not to believe. Then again, maybe those "few" atheists are actually agnostic, but I don't know. Point is, don't try and sell me your false Gods.
"It's all bullshit, folks and its bad for ya."-George Carlin

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:34 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

Posts: 304
Images: 53
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
ADePALMA1251 wrote:
Eggyslav wrote:
ADePALMA1251 wrote:
Also, religion pisses me off...


It's not Religion per se that pisses off, but it's how some people take it so serious, to the point of fanatical devotion. Also the hypocrisy and greed of clerics, and how they use religion as a tool to gain money and power on those who take the religion seriously.... And how they meddle in political affairs, instead of fullfilling their duties before people and God. And Did I mentioned Hypocrisy? They Codemn us for our sins, but they are not better, if not worse. :nono:


It all stems from religion, man and I just don't dig it. I'm not an athiest, athiest's want to belive but can't, I just don't want to...

I believe in God metaphorically as an idea within all of us that represents good, love and forgiveness rather than an actual being that will force you to suffer for doing what you feel you should do or being who you really are and I wouldn't like to attach myself to a specific religion and would rather be my own person without any labels stuck to me.

But that's just me.

So yeah, religion's fine as long as you don't hurt or make others upset or angry because of differing beliefs.

Jesus fuck, I'm an awfully spiritually self-righteous teenager. :lol:
Image

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:40 pm
Eggyslav User avatar
Mod

Posts: 397
Images: 231
Country: Poland (pl)
I myself am a deist, which means I believe God exists, but doesn't overlook our lives. In other words, God is like clockmaker, he made the world, brought it to life, and then he leaves it to be on its own. Thus, I don't believe in effectiveness of praying, in so-called miracles, divine intervention, and since I don't pray, I need no priests or churches, yet I still have a God to blame for all evil on earth. :P
Image
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬​­▬
Dies irae, dies illa
solvet saeclum in favilla:
teste David cum Sibylla.
Quantus tremor est futurus,
quando judex est venturus,
cuncta stricte discussurus!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬​­

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:41 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

Posts: 304
Images: 53
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
Eggyslav wrote:
I myself am a deist, which means I believe God exists, but doesn't overlook our lives. In other words, God is like clockmaker, he made the world, brought it to life, and then he leaves it to be on its own. Thus, I don't believe in effectiveness of praying, in so-called miracles, divine intervention, and since I don't pray, I need no priests or churches, yet I still have a God to blame for all evil on earth. :P

That's actually a really nice belief.

Stop converting me, you fuck! :lol:
Image

Post Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:49 pm
Eggyslav User avatar
Mod

Posts: 397
Images: 231
Country: Poland (pl)
:rofl:

Deism is not a belief, It's more a philosophical theory on God's existence. But your point of view is also good Jabels... ;)

It's Funny how a discussion about what we hate turned into a sophisticated Theological dispute.... Let's get back to main topic, savvy?
Image
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬​­▬
Dies irae, dies illa
solvet saeclum in favilla:
teste David cum Sibylla.
Quantus tremor est futurus,
quando judex est venturus,
cuncta stricte discussurus!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬​­

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:23 am
Caribou User avatar
Mod

Posts: 426
Images: 481
I was raised as a Christian but never really put much stock in it as a child, and as soon as I was old enough to think critically I decided the whole thing was horseshit and the idea that you should treat others as you'd like to be treated is as much moral guidance as anyone really needs. I spent many years after that thinking religion was the root of all evil before I saw enough counterexamples that show that things really aren't that clear cut. Religions being run as businesses and religion forming the basis of national politics / foreign policy are two of the most heinous things I can think of, but on a personal level people can worship whatever the hell they want for all I care. :)

ADePALMA1251 wrote:
It all stems from religion, man and I just don't dig it.

But what muddies the water is the enormous amount of great art and music that either directly or indirectly came from religion. ;)

ADePALMA1251 wrote:
I'm not an athiest, athiest's want to belive but can't

I have no idea where you got this from. An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in any god, end of story; what they want has nothing to do with it. So if you don't believe and don't want to believe then you're still an atheist whether you like the term or not.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like the term either. There isn't a special word to apply to me that says I don't believe in dragons or unicorns, so I don't see why I need one for gods. Unfortunately, the word's there now, and that's what it means. :P

Eggyslav wrote:
Deism is not a belief, It's more a philosophical theory on God's existence.

Nope, it's a belief. Calling it a theory implies that it comes from observation and can be empirically tested, which it obviously can't. Saying that an intelligent being designed and created the world then cut all ties to it is every bit as much a belief as saying he's been watching us ever since. Unless of course you don't actually believe it, in which case you are just Making Shit Up. :P
If God is a DJ, Jesus was a cross-fader

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:58 am

Posts: 247
Images: 25
Country: United States (us)

Note: Sorry for the confusion everyone, but after seeing the religious posts in "Room 101" topic, I figured I'd move all of your posts here!
You may continue the debate here...you may discuss your beliefs, philosophies, atheism, anything about relgion. Again, I am sorry for the confusion. -bellaXraven



I'm Catholic, but I'm not super-duper religious. (i.e going to church every sunday, praying every night, etc.)
I pray when I need to...I have something to go to when I've got nothing else.
I don't follow every single thing the Bible says...I do not believe that marriage is only between a man and a woman, I do not believe in going to church every sunday, and other things the Bible says.
If you're a good person who treats people with respect, then you're a good person!

Like I said, I'm definately not that religious...I just have faith.
And I don't really care if you think I'm strange, I'm not gonna change, and I don't give a damn about my bad reputation! -Joan Jett, Bad Reputation 1980

Image

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:36 am
Eggyslav User avatar
Mod

Posts: 397
Images: 231
Country: Poland (pl)
Thanks for moving it here Bella! :thumbup:
Image
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬​­▬
Dies irae, dies illa
solvet saeclum in favilla:
teste David cum Sibylla.
Quantus tremor est futurus,
quando judex est venturus,
cuncta stricte discussurus!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬​­

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:47 pm

Posts: 629
Images: 38
Country: United Kingdom (uk)

Um... I'm christian I guess, but uuuuuuh... yeah. Not much else to say really :/
Image

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:56 pm

Posts: 312
Images: 272
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
i just think people take it to seriously im an agnostic but i was raised as a christian because darwin had proof and the rest is "i saw a magic baby! (seems legit)"
I'm a Motherf*cking Fox.
-John Green

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:40 pm
Janina User avatar
Admin

Posts: 1020
Images: 4
Country: Germany (de)

I am an atheist, pretty much like Caribou described it.
My family is Christian (protestant), but isn't acting religious. We never went to church or read the bible. But it was common to baptize children and when I was 14 I had my confirmation like many others. It was a bit later that I started questioning why I did this. It was ridiculous! My family never went to church, but they thought children should be baptized and have their confirmation because that's the tradition. What an old fashioned way of thinking. I thought about the whole stuff I learned about religion and came to the conclusion that it was just made up. I don't believe in a God. I believe in coincidence ;).

Today I can't stand if people baptize their children or marry in a church just because it's a common thing to do and a "nice tradition". We should respect religions by only doing those things if we REALLY believe in them. Most people I know are not religious at all.

Unfortunately religion does a lot of harm, because it is not based on logical thinking. You can't discuss with somebody who believes god created the universe / hates gay people / wants to bomb the WTC. That's what makes it so dangerous. I don't think religion is the source of all evil, because most religious people are harmless. But nobody should follow something blindly or try to convert others. And of course politics and religion should be strictly separated. When I hear politicians say something about "God bless our country" this sounds stupid to me. Of course they can believe this - but it should not be part of politics.
But religion can help people to be strong in sad times, and that's the main reason I am not against it.
What's important: You can be a good person without religion or with religion, it's your own decision.
Image
No, I won't add more body shapes, band shirts or sports trikots. Really.

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:12 pm
Till Mod

Posts: 770
Images: 93
Country: Germany (de)
Janina wrote:
I am an atheist, pretty much like Caribou described it.
My family is Christian (protestant), but isn't acting religious. We never went to church or read the bible. But it was common to baptize children and when I was 14 I had my confirmation like many others. It was a bit later that I started questioning why I did this. It was ridiculous! My family never went to church, but they thought children should be baptized and have their confirmation because that's the tradition. What an old fashioned way of thinking. I thought about the whole stuff I learned about religion and came to the conclusion that it was just made up. I don't believe in a God. I believe in coincidence ;).


thats exactly like it was with me, just not so long ago.
I also dont belief in god. I belief in the thing, that everybody should live like he or she wants.
signatures suc... wait, oh damnit!

Post Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:10 am

Posts: 7
Country: United States (us)

Post Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:59 pm

Posts: 9
Country: Argentina (ar)
Janina wrote:
I am an atheist, pretty much like Caribou described it.
My family is Christian (protestant), but isn't acting religious. We never went to church or read the bible. But it was common to baptize children and when I was 14 I had my confirmation like many others. It was a bit later that I started questioning why I did this. It was ridiculous! My family never went to church, but they thought children should be baptized and have their confirmation because that's the tradition. What an old fashioned way of thinking. I thought about the whole stuff I learned about religion and came to the conclusion that it was just made up. I don't believe in a God. I believe in coincidence ;).

Today I can't stand if people baptize their children or marry in a church just because it's a common thing to do and a "nice tradition". We should respect religions by only doing those things if we REALLY believe in them. Most people I know are not religious at all.

Unfortunately religion does a lot of harm, because it is not based on logical thinking. You can't discuss with somebody who believes god created the universe / hates gay people / wants to bomb the WTC. That's what makes it so dangerous. I don't think religion is the source of all evil, because most religious people are harmless. But nobody should follow something blindly or try to convert others. And of course politics and religion should be strictly separated. When I hear politicians say something about "God bless our country" this sounds stupid to me. Of course they can believe this - but it should not be part of politics.
But religion can help people to be strong in sad times, and that's the main reason I am not against it.
What's important: You can be a good person without religion or with religion, it's your own decision.



(It's long, lol)
Janina stole me the words. :P The only difference is that my family is Roman Catholic.
I'm an atheist but I respect other people. Be happy with your choice :thumbup:

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:34 pm

Posts: 312
Images: 272
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
my ideas are: if god and jesus exists, big woop it doesn't matter now it would have happened 2000 years ago so can we all live in the present, live in now and stop being offensive.
I'm a Motherf*cking Fox.
-John Green

Post Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:59 pm

Posts: 8
Images: 13
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
I hate the name Athiest i replace that with Dragon, why?
1. Dragons are awesome
2. Confuses the religious people ("What religion are you?" "Dragon")
Image

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:44 pm
Eggyslav User avatar
Mod

Posts: 397
Images: 231
Country: Poland (pl)
Have you heard? Benedict XVI resigned to be a Pope.... After 8 years of Pontificate, he was like: "Screw it, I'm too old for this shit", and he just abdicated. Unlike John Paul II, who kept fullfilling his duties until death, even despite his fading health. Well, Ok, Ratzinger was quite senile when Conclave chose him, so that's reasonable for him to retire, but this seems kinda lazy of him, especially since he was rather "meh" as the popes go, I mean, what did he do to be remebered, apart making a Twitter account?
Image
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬​­▬
Dies irae, dies illa
solvet saeclum in favilla:
teste David cum Sibylla.
Quantus tremor est futurus,
quando judex est venturus,
cuncta stricte discussurus!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬​­

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Posts: 312
Images: 272
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
yeah, hes leaving the Vatican city to join Vatican united.
I'm a Motherf*cking Fox.
-John Green

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Joker User avatar
Mod

Posts: 82
Images: 83
Country: Norway (no)
*Ba dum tsss*
...That was a lie.

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:49 pm
Janina User avatar
Admin

Posts: 1020
Images: 4
Country: Germany (de)

I think it's better to go in time when you do not have the health anymore to do a proper job. No matter what job it is. Though I never liked Benedict this is a good move. Remember John Paul II's last weeks? He was not able to work anymore, so why did he stay? A dying man should have peace instead of duties. You cannot say he actually was "fullfilling his duties", because he just kept the title and others did his job when he was to ill too continue. No country or company would want a leader like that.

But well... I don't really care about the whole stuff because I am no friend of the church. Another pope will come and nothing will change.
Image
No, I won't add more body shapes, band shirts or sports trikots. Really.

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:46 am

Posts: 103
Images: 18
Country: United Kingdom (uk)
The Pope retired 2 days ago after a threat from the Italian Mafia. There was a Findus lasagne found in his bed. ;)
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:33 pm
Joker User avatar
Mod

Posts: 82
Images: 83
Country: Norway (no)
*Ba dum tsssss*
...That was a lie.

Post Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Posts: 247
Images: 25
Country: United States (us)

Benedict gave up being the pope for Lent. :P

Lol, I might as well post something interesting.

Since the topic is back up and running again, I might as well throw in this article about a teacher getting fired for supporting same-sex marriage.

http://gma.yahoo.com/teacher-fired-supp ... ories.html
And I don't really care if you think I'm strange, I'm not gonna change, and I don't give a damn about my bad reputation! -Joan Jett, Bad Reputation 1980

Image


Return to Life, the Universe and Everything