Board index Off Topic TV, Movies & Literature Batman

Batman

Discuss books, poetry, mangas, TV shows, films, actors...
Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:37 pm

i think its safe to say batman is SPS's fav superhero.
with the joker been the most done picture i want to see a few pics and some discussion

who is ur favourite bad guy?: Man-Bat, killer-moth, firefly, two-face and poison ivy

I'm a Motherf*cking Fox.
-John Green

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:52 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

Two-Face, Scarecrow and Riddler are my favourite villains. The Long Halloween is my favourite comic. Under The Red Hood is my favourite movie. Dick Grayson is my favourite Robin. Mark Hamill is my favourite Joker. Damian Wayne is a little shit.

I think that's about it.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:56 pm

Calander Man from Arkham City. He's so funny :lol:

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:00 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

ViralMonster wrote:

You've got an odd interpretation of "funny". But Calender Man is pretty cool. Go read Long Halloween and Dark Victory if you like him.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:19 pm

Jabels wrote:
ViralMonster wrote:

You've got an odd interpretation of "funny". But Calender Man is pretty cool. Go read Long Halloween and Dark Victory if you like him.

Cool, I'll check it out.

And the reson I find him funny is that through most of the game he sits in a cell counting. I don't know why but whenever I walked passed the stairs to the courtroom and heard "febuary 28 but the rest 31 or 30" I laugh my head off.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:38 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

Reading Grant Morrison's run on Batman & Robin, and goddamn, Professor Pyg is amazing.

Anyone else reading the comics?

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:40 pm

I read the Killing Joke, but I know that get's me crucified as that's THE stereotypical Batman joke.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:51 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

ViralMonster wrote:
I read the Killing Joke, but I know that get's me crucified as that's THE stereotypical Batman joke.

Not at all, that's a fantastic book. It's the first Batman comic I read too, so there you go.

I could recommend you some essential Batman books, if you want.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Oooh, go on then good sir =)

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:01 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

ViralMonster wrote:

Alrighty, here's a short list of what Bat-fans consider The Essentials.

• Batman: Year One by Frank Miller (I didn't particularly like it, but a lot of people do and it gives you a good introduction and origin to the characters of Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon. There's also a very faithful animated movie you should check out too.)
  • The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (an essential to every fan's collection, like it or not. Set in the future with an old Bruce Wayne who returns to take on the cowl once again. It revolutionised the character and molded him into what he is today. Probably the most popular Batman book out there.)
  • The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb (Gives you the more "detective" side of Batman and features a large cast of villains. It's also a Two-Face origin story. So if you're interested in him, check it out.)
  • Knightfall by various authors (Excited for The Dark Knight Rises? Want to know more about Bane and how much he kicks ass? You bet your sweet ass you do. Famous for the introduction of Bane and Azrael. I haven't read it since I'm waiting for the full Hardcover release in April, but it's available in paperback in 3 separate volumes.)
  • Hush by Jeph Loeb (Again, this has Loeb's tendency to put lots of villains into the story. Introduces Hush and features a wide cast of villains and allies. Jim Lee's art here is probably his best work ever.)

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:14 pm

Jabels wrote:
ViralMonster wrote:

Alrighty, here's a short list of what Bat-fans consider The Essentials.

• Batman: Year One by Frank Miller (I didn't particularly like it, but a lot of people do and it gives you a good introduction and origin to the characters of Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon. There's also a very faithful animated movie you should check out too.)
  • The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller (an essential to every fan's collection, like it or not. Set in the future with an old Bruce Wayne who returns to take on the cowl once again. It revolutionised the character and molded him into what he is today. Probably the most popular Batman book out there.)
  • The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb (Gives you the more "detective" side of Batman and features a large cast of villains. It's also a Two-Face origin story. So if you're interested in him, check it out.)
  • Knightfall by various authors (Excited for The Dark Knight Rises? Want to know more about Bane and how much he kicks ass? You bet your sweet ass you do. Famous for the introduction of Bane and Azrael. I haven't read it since I'm waiting for the full Hardcover release in April, but it's available in paperback in 3 separate volumes.)
  • Hush by Jeph Loeb (Again, this has Loeb's tendency to put lots of villains into the story. Introduces Hush and features a wide cast of villains and allies. Jim Lee's art is absolutely gorgeous. Highly recommended.)

Thanks a lot, I'll try and get 'em. Probably try and get Knightfall first, I've heard a shit ton of good things about it (plus I pissed my pants with excitement when you see Bane's teddy bear in the Arkham City vault)

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:13 pm

I'm a big bat fan, though only the Bruce Wayne stuff as I don't read the new comics. Bruce will always be Batman to me, not this Damian kid. Kevin Conroy is the Bat I grew up with, and he does a stellar job in whatever he appears in. Bale's Batman was cringeworthy at times, doesn't he have any Bat lozenges somewhere?

I've read The Long Halloween, definatley worth a read for Calender Man alone, a truly underrated villain.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:18 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

Nicky V. wrote:
I'm a big bat fan, though only the Bruce Wayne stuff as I don't read the new comics. Bruce will always be Batman to me, not this Damian kid.

Dude, Damian's never been Batman, he's the current Robin. Dick Grayson (Nightwing) was briefly Batman while Bruce was "dead", but Bruce is back now that the universe has been rebooted.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:31 pm

by the way Jabels, are there any books you would recommend which contain the origins of Ra's Al Guhl? (Probably spelt it wrong but whatever)

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:47 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

ViralMonster wrote:
by the way Jabels, are there any books you would recommend which contain the origins of Ra's Al Guhl? (Probably spelt it wrong but whatever)

Not sure. I haven't read any Ra's-centred comics. Sorry dude.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:50 pm

Jabels wrote:
ViralMonster wrote:

Hey, no problem dude =)

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:51 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

ViralMonster wrote:
Jabels wrote:
ViralMonster wrote:

Hey, no problem dude =)

He's in Hush, if that's worth anything.

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:54 pm

Jabels wrote:
ViralMonster wrote:
Jabels wrote:
ViralMonster wrote:

Hey, no problem dude =)

He's in Hush, if that's worth anything.

Oh, awesome thanks. I'll check that one out after Nightfall :)

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:56 pm
Dogzilla User avatar
Mod

Jetpack-guy wrote:
who is ur favourite bad guy?: Man-Bat, killer-moth, firefly, two-face and poison ivy

A lot of villains in Batman are awesome. My favourites are: Joker, Bane, Two-face, Mr Freeze, Victor Zsasc, Man-Bat, Poison Ivy, Catwoman, etc.
Credit to Jabels for signature...

Post Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:35 pm
Janina User avatar
Admin

I have to admit I never read a batman comic. As a child I only had a couple of Disney comics </ .

But I love the old Burton movies and especially Nolan's new ones! Well, I guess everybody loves them ;). What I like about Batman is how he has no actual super powers, because this makes it more exciting. And I like the villains. There are so many interesting ones.
My favorite Batman movie is not "The Dark Knight" but "Batman begins" because of the way his training is shown. I knew nothing about this before so it was new and exciting to watch. My favorite superheroe movie of all time! Besides Orgazmo of course ;).
No, I won't add more body shapes, band shirts or sports trikots. Really.

Post Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:59 am

Jabels wrote:
ViralMonster wrote:

Not at all, that's a fantastic book. It's the first Batman comic I read too, so there you go.

I could recommend you some essential Batman books, if you want.

Jabels wrote:
Two-Face, Scarecrow and Riddler are my favourite villains. The Long Halloween is my favourite comic. Under The Red Hood is my favourite movie. Dick Grayson is my favourite Robin. Mark Hamill is my favourite Joker. Damian Wayne is a little shit.

I think that's about it.

This is insane man, I just put down The Long Halloween, like 2 minutes ago. I'm re-reading it, for what seems like the 1000 time and it's just as good, if not better than the first time I read it. I just started the April Fools Day chapter. As for my favorite villains: Two Face; The Joker; The Riddler; Phantasm.
Favorite Animated Film: Batman: Mask of the Phantasm; Batman: Year One
Favorite Book: The Long Halloween/Dark Victory

ViralMonster,
Jables is totally right man. The Killing Joke is an incredible story which happened to be re-introduced to the spotlight after word that Heath Ledger was reading it to prepare for The Dark Knight. I'm not saying it was forgotten, it was just not center stage. I remember a few weeks before Batman: Arkham Asylum came out, the Grant Morris Arkham Asylum comic was being reprited like the fucking bible, and I was so confused. I was confused because to me that comic was the weird Batman comic my grandfather got for free from some church book drive and gave it to me for my 10th birthday. Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is, no comic/book should be looked at as the "stereotypical" story. They've been dubbed that because there so good and important. I know I'm rambling on now so I'll say one last thing: Read The Long Halloween, then read Dark Victory!
"It's all bullshit, folks and its bad for ya."-George Carlin

Post Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:26 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

ADePALMA1251 wrote:
I remember a few weeks before Batman: Arkham Asylum came out, the Grant Morris Arkham Asylum comic was being reprited like the fucking bible, and I was so confused. I was confused because to me that comic was the weird Batman comic my grandfather got for free from some church book drive and gave it to me for my 10th birthday.

Oh man, I fucking love Arkham Asylum: ASHOSE. One of my favourite books. Literally, I'd spend about an hour on each page just gawking at the art. But yeah, not a good idea to get it for a 10 year old. :lol:

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:10 pm
Joker User avatar
Mod

My favorite villains are; Two-Face, Bane, Scarecrow, Joker and Hush. My favourite movies are The Dark Knight and Under The Red Hood (witch is the only animated Batman movie Iv'e ever seen). I haven't read that many of the comics, because they're kinda hard to find here in Norway </ , buuuut I found an awesome comic shop in Oslo, so I've started to buy comics regularly.

By the way... http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1877830/ Thoughts?
...That was a lie.

Post Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:51 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

Joker wrote:
My favourite movies are The Dark Knight and Under The Red Hood (witch is the only animated Batman movie Iv'e ever seen).

DUDE. Go watch Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker and Mask of the Phantasm RIGHT NOW.

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:08 am

Jables, are you the same Jables on ArkhamCity.co.uk? I saw the Michale Keaton"Bueno" picture and thought it was you...
"It's all bullshit, folks and its bad for ya."-George Carlin

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:53 pm
Dogzilla User avatar
Mod

ADePALMA1251 wrote:
Jables, are you the same Jables on ArkhamCity.co.uk? I saw the Michale Keaton"Bueno" picture and thought it was you...

He probably is. That or someone on this site is pretending to be him on ArkhamCity.co.uk. :scared:

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:03 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

ADePALMA1251 wrote:

Yep, that's me. I got warned within the first 10 minutes on that site, oddly enough. Apparently my dickish nature is more accepted in a South Park website than a Batman one. :lol:

Post Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:24 pm

The Batman reboot? I heard about that in 2010 bro. But yeah, It's ridiculous

Post Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:27 pm
Jareen2 User avatar
Mod

two-face, Jack Nickelson Joker, The Ridler, The Penquin

Post Tue May 01, 2012 8:10 am
Dogzilla User avatar
Mod

So, the 3rd Dark Knight rises trailer is out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5VDDJlsD6I&feature=g-logo

Next

Return to TV, Movies & Literature