Board index Off Topic TV, Movies & Literature Favourite Films?

Favourite Films?

Discuss books, poetry, mangas, TV shows, films, actors...
Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:53 am

Does anyone else love The Shawshank Redemption? I love that film! :D
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid.

Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:54 pm

Gremlins. :)

Post Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:10 pm
Janina User avatar
Admin

@3lvis: I do!
It's a shame I did not know about this movie for several years. Some time ago I had a look at the IMDb "best rated movies of all time" list and noticed it being 1st place. That made me curious. It's a really fascinating movie with great actors and a heartwarming story. I don't know why, but it makes me feel really good... though a lot of tragic things happen.
Highly recommended movie, no matter what genre you prefer!

Other favorites include (sorry, I like many movies and cannot decide):

Natural Born Killers and movies by Tarantino and Christopher Nolan. Memento might be my all time favorite, even before Batman. V for Vendetta, Fight Club, Butterfly Effect, Donnie Darko,... I like mindfuck :). That's why I enjoy Korean and Japenese movies very much. Save the green Planet, Symbol, Battle Royal, Oldboy and horror movies like Ju On and Tale of two sisters are my favorites here. Asien movies rock! But I don't watch anime.
I like strange musicals like Little Shop of Horros, the Rocky Horror Picture Show and Dr. Horrible's Sing along Blog.
And some Fantasy stuff, like Highlander, Princess Bride and Lord of the Rings.
Ony of my favorite hobbies is to watch horror / trash movies with a couple of friends (zombies, Troma, gore,... all the good stuff). Chillerama, Braindead or Potrygeist... we have a big collection of funny or bad horror movies.
I can laugh about Mystery Science Theater 3000 (my avatar), South Park, Shrek 2, Kung Pow, Back to the Future (classic!) and Monty Python.

Oh boy, I guess it's easier to say what I DON'T like. Usually I don't like romantic comedy, western and drama. When I watch a movie I want to be entertained and not see people suffer ;).
No, I won't add more body shapes, band shirts or sports trikots. Really.

Post Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:37 pm
Jareen2 User avatar
Mod

Monty Phyton and Tim Burton

Post Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:12 pm

SLC Punk!
The Breakfast Club
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Sixteen Candles
Back To The Future trilogy
The Runaways
The Wizard Of Oz
Ace Ventura
Men In Black
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
The Runaways
Austin Powers trilogy

and more!
And I don't really care if you think I'm strange, I'm not gonna change, and I don't give a damn about my bad reputation! -Joan Jett, Bad Reputation 1980

Post Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:47 pm

Ace Ventura is hilarious, immature, but hilarious ;)

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:34 am

3lvis wrote:
Ace Ventura is hilarious, immature, but hilarious ;)

Yeah, it's notstalgic...I watched it when I was younger.
Pretty much, I like anything Jim Carrey is in. xD
And I don't really care if you think I'm strange, I'm not gonna change, and I don't give a damn about my bad reputation! -Joan Jett, Bad Reputation 1980

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:38 pm
Till Mod

the Mib series
the matrix triologie
back to the future
Mr.and Mrs smith
fast´n´furios 5
oceans11, 12, 13
South park movie
shang high noon + s h knights
nearly evry movie with Chackie Chan.

I love the perfect mix of action and comedy...
signatures suc... wait, oh damnit!

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:46 pm

Chakie Chan? Is he on FG-Studio.de?

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Fight Club
The Dark Knight
CKY (1-4)
Jurassic Park
Jaws
Escape From New York
Goodfellas
Pulp Fiction
Akira
Hard Boiled(The GREATEST action film ever)
Memento
-This list goes on, and on...
"It's all bullshit, folks and its bad for ya."-George Carlin

Post Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:29 pm
Eggyslav User avatar
Mod

3lvis wrote:
Does anyone else love The Shawshank Redemption? I love that film! :D

MY GOD YES! My favourite scene: When he played Mozart's S'ull Aria from Marriage of Figaro through Warden's speakers.... I'm actually listening now to that song.... :d
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬​­▬
Dies irae, dies illa
solvet saeclum in favilla:
teste David cum Sibylla.
Quantus tremor est futurus,
quando judex est venturus,
cuncta stricte discussurus!
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬​­

Post Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:22 pm

Django Unchained. Quentin Tarantino has definitley struck gold again with it. The film was so godamn entertaining.

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:09 pm

ADePALMA1251 wrote:
Django Unchained. Quentin Tarantino has definitley struck gold again with it. The film was so godamn entertaining.

I think I would have enjoyed it better if Tarantino hadn't felt the need to insert the N word into every sentance simply for the shock of using it in the modern film medium.Leonardo DeCaprio was good though.

Definatley shouldn't have been nominated for an Oscar though :facepalm: :nono:

Post Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:01 pm

ViralMonster wrote:
I think I would have enjoyed it better if Tarantino hadn't felt the need to insert the N word into every sentance simply for the shock of using it in the modern film medium.Leonardo DeCaprio was good though.

I think that's a pretty ignorant thing to say. It makes sense that the word is used considering the setting of the film. And Tarantino does not seem like the kind of person that makes what he makes for the shock factor. Don't short change him like that.

Post Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:21 am
Janina User avatar
Admin

After seeing Django Unchained I agree with ADePALMA.
The language and violence could have been worse (we know Tarantino can do this if he wants, remember some of his other movies), but this was not the point. What really made me feel uncomfortable was how Tarantino captured this racist behaviour as being totaly normal. Those were the times. Everybody (even slaves) was so used to this horrible way of thinking, that for them the n-word was not even a real insult. That's why Samuel L. Jackson's role was especially creepy for me.
The movie had to show it this way, because most movies about this topic do not have the guts. Of course the fights and dialogues were over the top, but somehow I felt like this was a more realistic movie about slavery than most Hollywood crap I have seen before. At least about the way of thinking back then.
By the way, I had a similar feeling when watching how Inglourious Basterds was dealing with the 3rd Reich. Two really good movies. But of course you need a certain tolerance for Tarantino's way of storytelling. I cannot imaging watching those movies with my grandparents ;).

Post Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:34 pm

I saw Django unchained just last week and in my opinion it was GREAT. It's the best (newly released) film I've seen in years. Tarantino worked his magic once again making it brutal, bloody but realistic. If Tarantino hadn't included all the N-words it wouldn't have been as good ( not because I'm some filthy African-American white piece of trash but because it wouldn't have been as realistic) ;) .

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:48 am
Jabels User avatar
Mod

I've yet to see Django Unchained, but I don't understand the complaints of the use of "nigger" (especially since I've never heard a black person complain about its usage), it just reminds me of Blazing Saddles, it fits the timeframe and wouldn't feel authentic if it were left out.

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:22 am
Caribou User avatar
Mod

Jabels wrote:
it fits the timeframe and wouldn't feel authentic if it were left out.

That's the most important thing of all; to make a film these days without it would be glossing over the issue for the sake of white guilt and Tarantino is better than that.

ViralMonster wrote:
I think I would have enjoyed it better if Tarantino hadn't felt the need to insert the N word into every sentance simply for the shock of using it in the modern film medium.

If you wanted to complain about him using the word "nigger" for shock value then Jackie Brown is the film to pick, not this one (though I still don't think you'd have much of a case). But that was fifteen years ago, so I don't think anyone familiar with his work would be shocked by the language in Django Unchained even if it weren't justified, which it is. It might make a few people feel uncomfortable, but that's kinda the point. Treating black people like that should make people feel uncomfortable.

ViralMonster wrote:

On the contrary, I think he's been gypped by not getting a Best Director nomination as well. Although Life of Pi was my favourite last year by quite a long way.
If God is a DJ, Jesus was a cross-fader

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:06 am

How was Life Of Pi? I was told by a friend that the story got a bit bland, but had really nice FX and stuff.
I was going to see it, but being in Edinburgh there are always fucking roadworks everywhere up town and they're always shutting down streets and drilling up the ground and I didn't get to it on time.

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:56 am

ViralMonster wrote:
I think I would have enjoyed it better if Tarantino hadn't felt the need to insert the N word into every sentance (...)

I guess the 'N-word' is 'nigger' (Why hidding it?)... Well, imagine all the movie saying 'afroamerican' instead. Every historical period has its own words and way of speaking.
It should be as ridiculous as the latest edition of 'Huckelberry Finn' where they have changed the word 'nigger'... Who is everyone of this new inquisitors to change even a letter of what Mark Twain wrote? :nono:

Political correctness is another cancer of the modern society.

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:00 pm
Caribou User avatar
Mod

3lvis wrote:
How was Life Of Pi? I was told by a friend that the story got a bit bland, but had really nice FX and stuff.

The ending has split people massively, but I personally find it quite heartwarming and charming... whether that is because I'm an atheist or despite it I'm not really sure. It probably helps that I like the book, because it's a pretty strict adaptation.

But calling the effects "really nice" is damning it with terribly faint praise. They are, bar none, hands down the best computer effects (and use of 3D) that I've ever seen - it blows even Avatar out of the water. I was completely entranced from the very second it started, and it's just mind-blowing how much like a real tiger it looks for every second it's onscreen. You'll need to see it at the cinema to fully appreciate it, I'm sure, but I'd definitely recommend it to literally anyone - whether you like the story or not, if you aren't at least a little bit moved by the visuals alone then you are medically dead.

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:28 pm
Janina User avatar
Admin

Strider wrote:
It should be as ridiculous as the latest edition of 'Huckelberry Finn' where they have changed the word 'nigger'... Who is everyone of this new inquisitors to change even a letter of what Mark Twain wrote? :nono:
Political correctness is another cancer of the modern society.

That's an interesting topic. Right now we have a similar discussion in Germany because a famous children's book (The Little Witch) was changed in its new edition. The word "Neger" (ss far as I remember it is only used once in the book) is replaced, because they don't want to teach small kids this word. Back when the book was written it was common to use for black people and not treated as an insult, but times have changed.

But I understand those changes. I read a lot of special editions from classic novels as a kid which were changed for children. The reason for this was not censorship, but to make it easier to understand the old fashioned language. I think editions like this are a good way to give children a better access to classic literature. Our language changes and so it can be really difficult to understand those old books without background knowledge.

The problem is: If you change those books there should always be the original version for adults. We are educated enough to understand the context of those words, because we know those books were written in different times. So there should be no censorship if an adult wants to read the original version. Literature is art and should be treated this way. And how should we learn for the future if we block out the past? That's why I think it is okay to change old books for children as long as the original version is available too.

Sorry for the Off Topic ;). But it's still about "the N-Word". Django is a movie for adults so this kind of language should be no problem because we know about the historcial background.

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:00 pm

Caribou wrote:

Fuck yeah, man! That was the first thing that came to mind when I read ViralMonster's post.

What was your guy's and gals' favorite films of 2012?

Mine were (in no particular order): Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises, Django Unchained, and Moonrise Kingdom.

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:43 pm

For some reason I really liked MiB 3

Post Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:37 pm
Dogzilla User avatar
Mod

Dark Knight Rises, Skyfall, Avengers and Django Unchained could all have a chance of making it into my top 10 movies of all time let alone my four favourite movies of 2012.
Credit to Jabels for signature...

Post Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:16 am

Has anyone else seen 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' ? I loved that film!

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:05 am
Caribou User avatar
Mod

Once or twice. ;) It's a stone classic.

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:28 am

I pretty much love anything that Nicholson is in :D

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:55 pm
Jabels User avatar
Mod

I haven't seen "One Flew Over..." yet, but I've been meaning to watch it for ages. So many films I've been putting off watching, I have no idea where to start.

Post Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:48 pm
Caribou User avatar
Mod

3lvis: Seen Chinatown yet? One of Nicholson's best, and it doesn't get an awful lot of press these days.

Jabels, OFOTCN is as good a place to start as any...

Next

Return to TV, Movies & Literature